Thursday, July 30, 2009

My Arrival to Maui Airport and What I Love About Maui

The five hour flight from LA to Maui was smooth and easy -just the way I liked my vacations to start, but now that the plane had landed it seemed to take forever before reaching the gate. Without any unexpected delays I figured I would be in my condo at The Whaler in about an hour and a half.

If I added an hour to unpack and change, I was confident I could be sipping a Mai Tai and eating pupus (Hawaiian appetizers) at The Barefoot Bar by 4pm. This vacation was all about rest and relaxation. Soon I would be taking off my watch, eating when I was hungry and sleeping when I was sleepy.

As far as activities ...well I was keeping my itinerary to the bare minimum. First, swim in the pool. Next, jump in the ocean. Third, go next door for a drink and food at an open air restaurant along the beach in Whalers Village.

Finally, relax on the lanai to watch the sun set over the ocean. Perhaps in the morning I would take a walk along the beach and read a few books on the beach? Or maybe I would sleep in? The options were endless and I was getting excited to "start doing nothing".
So without hesitation, once the plane came to a gentle stop, I grabbed my carry-on and made my way toward the exit. Within a few minutes I stood in the airport where a light and sweet trade-wind greeted me like an old friend.

This sweet tropical air carried the fragrance of plumerias and coconuts, with a sprinkling of ocean salt. Greedily I took another deep breath, happy to be breathing the Maui air.

By the time I reached the rental car kiosk I was feeling lighter on my feet. I even skipped a step as I imagined wiggle my toes in the warm Kaanapali sand, Maui No Kai Oi.

If you have traveled to Maui you can probably picture the scene. However, for anyone who has never been to the island (or if your memories are vague), let me tell you a little more about why after thirty years I think Maui is paradise.

From the day I started visiting the island the blue skies, sweet and salty trade winds, white sand beaches, warm water and swaying palm trees have held a special place in my heart. This might seem like a cliche to some, but around every corner there is a, "wish you were here" moment.

Maui has everything from tropical rain forests to deserts. There are sandy beaches and red dirt cliffs. The ocean can be flat and gentle, or raw and fierce. There are five-star resorts, dinner cruses, golfing, SCUBA, sunbathing and guided tours.

Travelers can also learn about Hawaiian culture, or explore the national parks. Of course there is no right or wrong way to enjoy what Maui has to offer. For example, if you just want to be pampered many hotels offer massage treatments -you can even have your Shiatsu while relaxing under a cabana on the beach.

Or if you want to do some exploring, bring your hiking boots for a 3 day hike along Haleakala's creator floor. Perhaps something between a massage and 3 day hike is what you are looking for? Well don't worry, Maui has its share of championship golf courses, shopping centers and restaurants.

Of course, there is no rule that says you can not mix and match. One day can be spent learning to surf, the other day can be spent under a palm tree reading a book -it's your vacation.

Maui can be what you want it to be. Do it all, or do nothing -it just does not matter. You can hang loose or wine and dine, you decide. The only rule is ...there are no rules. So if you are thinking it might be nice to be on the beach, sipping a drink, watching the sunset; Maui can oblige.

On the other hand, if you are thinking of learning to surf, going SCUBA diving or experiencing a sunrise at the summit of Haleakala; Maui is the perfect place for you to enjoy. Either way, Maui is waiting to make your dreams come true.

By Gail Reichel and Gary Reichel

No comments:

Post a Comment