Monday, July 27, 2009

Traveling With Your Saddle Pad Friend - Your Horse

I recall several trips that my boyfriend and I have taken with our horses in tow. If you ever have the chance to experience this kind of travel with your horse I highly recommend it.

When you are out on the trails you see some of the most breathtaking scenery that you normally wouldn't see if you were driving through in a car.

It was only in the last six years that I experienced these travels myself and it has been educational as well as fun.

One trip takes me back to the Virginia mountains, those were the highest mountains I had seen this side of the east coast. We rented a camping spot for ourselves and stalls for our horses.

Thankfully our horses trailered very well on the drive there, so when we arrived we unloaded the horses, got them settled in, and then parked our horse trailer with living quarters and set everything up.

Later that evening just before dark we saddled up the horses and took one of the shorter trails, making sure we used some reflective clothing and saddle gear so that any traffic could see us.

We didn't ride long mostly just to stretch the horses legs and to see some of the scenery before turning in for the night.

The next morning we brushed down the horses, put the saddles on, and packed our saddle bags with snacks and water.

I made sure I took my camera along with me, just in case we got to see the wild pony's that roam over the designated land.

Sure enough we saw them, I was able to get some really good pictures, it was amazing to sit and watch them not more than ten feet away from us. Maybe you have to like horses to appreciate the experience but I think anyone would enjoy that part of nature.

This was one trip I fondly remembered, we stayed for only a weekend but it was sure packed with adventure and admiration of the mountain scenery.

You really appreciate a trained and sound horse when making these kinds of trips, sometimes riders introduce their horse into situations they are not ready for and that leads to uncomfortable and sometimes unsafe rides.

Try to work on the less intimidating trails first until your horse gains more experience and trust with more approachable trails. Always keep good common sense and safety in mind when riding or hauling your horse.

By Karen Bonnay

No comments:

Post a Comment